Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First Impressions

Intimidation.  This is a lot.  Like, it's a mountain.  A typical Broadway show only has 5-6 'dance' numbers and a lot of musical staging.  And here I am, a nobody just starting out and trying to tackle Everest, re-conceiving some of the most iconic choreography in the theatrical cannon.  Whoa.

Okay okay.  Enough about how daunting this thing is gonna be.  Let's get down to specifics.  The greats.  Fosse.  Bennett.  Robbins.  Their stuff is the shit.  What they originally did with their numbers is so perfect it's gonna be hard to match, let alone top.  How the F**K am I gonna do A Chorus Line justice?  We might just save that 'til the end.

Let's see.  More greats.  Um...Sondheim.  Wow.  Not necessarily known for his dance shows.  It'll be fun seeing what I can bring out in Company, A Little Night Music, Sweeny Todd, and Passion.  Fun.  Or a nightmare.  We'll see.  

Not a tapper.  Can't wait 'til 42nd Street rolls around.

Sound of Music TIED Fiorello?  Looks like I'm doing both.  The 51numbers project doesn't have the same ring to it, though, so I'm keeping the name the same.  Let's just consider that tie 'extra credit.'

Did The Mystery of Edwin Drood even get a cast recording?  How am I gonna track down something to dance to for that one?  Lincoln Center Library, don't you dare let me down!

If I bastardize some of the currently running shows on Bway, am I gonna piss off choreographers that can give me jobs?  I'm offering a preemptive apology right now.  Dear amazing Bway choreographers, your work rocks so f*ing hard.  Thank you for letting me play with some ideas in a totally educational environment and please in no way take offense at anything I try.  I mean no disrespect to your work whatsoever.  I'm harmless.  That's why I have a blog.  Sincerely-Sid


No comments:

Post a Comment